I’m working on some project documents and listening to Classic FM’s David Mellor (ex-Member of Parliament and even Cabinet member) enthusiastically share his top 20 classical music recordings of 2012 – both new and re-released. Sometimes it’s quite fascinating, especially Max Richter’s rewriting of Vivaldi’s famous Four Seasons violin concertos, two very different versions of Rachmaninoff’s beautiful Symphony No.2 even though the different albums won in different categories, and even Cole Porter’s “Let’s Do It” by Alexandre Tharaud. Yes, I’m just as confused as you. (Amazon affiliate links)
Well, I’ve never been much of a fan of “Top” or “Best of” lists, even though it is clearly a marketing gem and seems to engage a great many people. (The fact that such programs can be prepared in advance so they can be aired during the holidays with no-one actually present at the radio or TV station isn’t lost on me.)
So, whilst wondering what gives David Mellor the right to pick and choose classical music recordings, and whether or not he’s just presenting someone else’s research/ compiled list (such as EMI, Sony, Virgin Classics, or any of Global Radio‘s other regular bed partners), I wondered what other lists are out there this year. I typed “Best of classical music 2012” into the centrally focused white box on the Google homepage which took a moment (0.44 seconds, to be a little more pedantic) to produce the results below.
And there we have it! These must truly be the absolute best of the best of classical music for 2012. Make of them what you will, and take particular note of the handful of references to live music (such as concerts). In fact, the exact opposite occurred – included in this “Best of” list are notable deaths! Can you and I change that? I think so. Maybe next year we can come up with our own “Best of 2013’s Classical Music” and make them ALL concerts!
My (or, in fact, Google’s) “Best of ‘Best of Classical Music 2012:'”
- 54th Annual Grammy Awards Nominees for Classical Music (2012)
- The Best Classical Music Recordings of 2012 – NYTimes.com
- The best classical music of 2012 | Music | The Guardian
- Amazon Hot New Releases: best Classical Music
- Classical Music and Opera: The Best of 2012
- 2012 in review: Notable deaths in classical music and dance
- Remembering the best classical music of 2012 – Times Union
- The Best in North Texas Classical Music in 2012 | FrontRow
- The Orchestra: The best classical music iPad app
- Best of 2012: Classical music | Mark Swed – latimes.com
- The Best and Worst of Classical Music in 2012 – WQXR
- best classical music songs
- best sad classical music
- best classical music for studying
- best classical guitar music
Do you agree with any of these? Put your own “Best of classical music 2012” list in the comments below. Even one entry will help us focus our efforts!
Really – what music or performer do you think we should look out for in 2013?